EKPTO - Exceptional Kids Parent Teacher Organization
The Exceptional Kid's Prom is dedicated to providing special-needs children with extreme challenges the experience of a formal high-school-type dance/event. This prom serves those in all the major South Bay cities from age 14 - 22 whose physical and mental disabilities prohibit them from attending their local high school prom festivities. Volunteers help to create an environment that is comfortable and fun for the kids. See a video from the 2014 EKPTO prom here.
Parishioners can help keep this great tradition going in several ways:
- Sponsor a student for $20 (checks should be made out to EXPTO and can be mailed to Debby Striff at 4415 Via Pinzon, Palos Verdes Estates, CA 90274).
- Adopt a student by shopping with then, accompanied by a teacher, for prom wear and grooming of hair and nails - approximately $100 - Call Debby at 310-489-9645 for specifics.
- Volunteers to decorate before and/or clean up after - men especially welcome! This is where we need the most help and get the fewest volunteers
- Two adults to hand out takeaways to be determined (examples: beads, corsages, leis).
- Three adult greeters - dressed warmly - to help escort the most challenged kids up to the elevator to the ballroom.
- Eight adult food servers for the buffet dinner.