AMYM Confirmation Program
American Martyrs Confirmation program seeks to provide high school teenagers with the theological and spiritual foundation that will inspire them to live their faith with courage and zeal.
Our Confirmation program SEALED. consists of a minimum of two years in faith formation.
Any teen in high school who has been baptized is welcome to begin preparation for this Sacrament.
Our once a month Sunday afternoon gatherings begin at 3:30pm and will end at 6:00pm.
- Gather for a large group activity and message to introduce the afternoon's topic
- Engage in small group discussion with peers, guided by an adult Core leader
- Complete their online supplemental material prior to each class
- Turn in the parent/teen reflection paper when they come to class
Mass will conclude SEALED. classes. Small groups will walk together to their assigned seats in the church before Mass begins.
The Confirmation curriculum established by the Archdiocese of Los Angeles provides the requirements and scope and sequence of the lessons for each of the SEALED. Year 1 and Year 2 classes.
SEALED. Program Requirements
- All candidates must attend two years of Confirmation formation. There are 8 sessions throughout each academic year. Candidates are required to attend ALL meetings with no absences. (Due to the limited amount of times we gather in formation, if teens miss the first two classes of the year, teens will be asked to join us the next year for formation. A missed class can be made up. Please see the make-up policy.)
- All candidates will complete monthly readings from the YouCat, watch a video online, and respond to a parent & teen reflection prompt (bring a printed copy to class) before attending monthly meetings. [AMYM Life Teen provides YouCats at the beginning of Year 1.]
- All Candidates must complete one AMYM approved service project plus 5 hours of Parish Service each year and submit their Parish Reflection Form. (Parish service is performed through any American Martyrs ministry.)
- All candidates are required to participate in and attend 5pm Mass as an integral part of each SEALED. session.
- Year 1 & Year 2 candidates must attend ONE Life Night of their choice during each first year of formation.
- Year 2 candidates must attend a SEALED. American Martyrs Confirmation Retreat or attend another parish retreat experience during the Year 2 Confirmation process.
- Year 1 candidates will complete an entrance interview before the formation year begins.
Year 2 candidates will interview with an Adult Core member at the end of the SEALED. process. This helps the team and candidate to discern the growth of the candidate throughout the two-year process. (Sign-up information for the interview will be included in our monthly emails.)
Part of the choice to be confirmed means participating fully in the process; candidates must attend all 8 SEALED. meetings, complete all online assigned readings and reflections and arrive on time or early to prepare. The 5pm Mass is a required aspect of the Confirmation class experience and missing Mass will result in a missed class. Candidates are allowed to miss only one class that will be made up by attending a Teen Tuesday Bible Study and completing a make up reflection.
If a candidate misses more than one class, we must take careful consideration and evaluate whether or not the teen should postpone further preparation until the next year.
Confirmation candidates will be provided with a video to watch and reflection questions to complete based on the topic of the missed class. Make up work is due at the end of the week of the missed class and will be emailed to the Director of Confirmation. Teens must also attend a Teen Tuesday Bible Study night.
DIRECTOR OF CONFIRMATION: Monica Leon