Five Ways YOU can help prevent child abuse
Five Ways YOU Can Help Prevent Child Abuse
- Come participate in our "Protecting God's Children" VIRTUS class to learn how to recognize and prevent child, teen and elder abuse. Classes are free and you will be the eyes and ears of our community, protecting those who are most vulnerable. Scheduled class dates and times at American Martyrs parish are published in our weekly bulletin or see virtusonline.org to register for a class in our area.
- Please get fingerprinted if you supervise children at American Martyrs parish! We need 100% compliance so when you agree to do so voluntarily it makes our goal much easier to meet. You then become a model for others! Sign up for free archdiocesan LiveScan fingerprinting at one of the LiveScan locations. To have your fingerprinting done at one of the LiveScan locations, please contact Patti Williams at 310-546-4734 to obtain a LiveScan form to take with with you to your appointment.
- If you volunteer in any capacity with or around children at American Martyrs parish (or any parish in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles), you are required to review, sign and observe the Archdiocese of Los Angeles "Guidelines for Adults Interacting with Minors at Parish or School Activities or Events." The forms should be returned to the School of Religious Education Office.
- If you observe abuse, or something that may be abuse, report it! Failing to act allows the abuse or neglect to continue. See paragraph above on how to report abuse or read the following brochure "Working Together". If you have a "reasonable suspicion" that a child, teen or elder is being abused in any way, you should report it to the police or to the Child Protection Hotline (1-800-540-4000).
- Discuss with your child the "Teaching Touching Safety" lessons they learn in American Martyrs School or Religious Education classes. That way you know they will understand how to protect themselves from abuse and exploitation.
Thank you for all you do to keep our children safe.